Monday, July 11, 2011

Book Review: The Jesus You Can't Ignore


Don't you just love the cover?!

This is not an easy read! I started this book in August. It is now July. It's taken me one year to complete--not because MacArthur doesn't know how to write, but if you're like me & need a little action, humor etc. when it comes to books, this one is not for you. It can get boring because there is no humor and it gets a little "wordy". Plus the chapters are pretty long.

However, I did think the author is an excellent writer. This book details the ministry of Jesus from the gospels of the Bible. I love the way he begins the first chapter, capturing Jesus' character overall saying, "Jesus' way of dealing with sinners was normally marked by such extreme tenderness..." But it kind of takes a spin in irony, because the rest of the book is all about the opposite: When it's wrong to be nice.

This covers Jesus' dealings with the religious leaders, mostly the Pharisees. His sermons were full of harsh words & hard truths as MacArthur puts it. Not because He was a mean man, but because these people needed to hear the truth--and not a sugarcoated one at that.

Overall, I definitely reccomend the book itself, because you'll gain a lot of insight to Jesus' nature & teachings & the book can come alive in your mind but only if you like this kind of reading and if you're okay with words you may not understand! It's kinda like watching a movie! I'd say it was a nice change from books I usually head for.


*This was my honest review for Booksneeze

No comments:

Melodies